English One showcases one of its popular specialized English Courses: Academic English. Learn more about this course and how it can help you in your studies or professional life.
The Academic English course is here to assist students who are studying, or want to study, at an English university. There is a strong focus on academic reading and writing as well as improving student’s listening skills. The course is also designed to prepare students for various English exams such as the Cambridge PET, FCE, CAE or CPE exams, as well as the important IELTS test. This part of the course works on developing your exam skills as well as improving your use of English.
The Academic English course is an intensive course with a strong focus on high-level English skills.
DAYS: Monday – Friday
TIMES: 9:00 – 15:00
MINIMUM LENGTH: 1 week
MINIMUM LEVEL: B1
The aim of the Academic English course is to develop the necessary English language skills you will need to succeed at an English university, or when taking an English exam.
This course has been designed for international students needing to study in an English environment where you will need to read and understand your study materials as well as writing about and discussing your subject area.
The course aims to help you develop a wide variety of the relevant language skills required at university and to provide you with the knowledge needed to achieve the outcomes you are looking for.
The course is also ideal for students needing to take an internationally recognized English exam. With an in-depth focus on the exam skills required to succeed in the high stress environment of taking a Cambridge exam or the IELTS test, this course can be of great benefit if you need to ensure you get the results that you need for your future studies or career.
An Outline of the Course Components
- Academic listening strategies
- Prediction & identification of main idea
- Note taking
- Responding appropriately to spoken instructions
COMPONENT 2: Speaking Skills
- Verbally connecting ideas in discourse
- Using appropriate verbal intonation and rhythm
- Paraphrasing information or stories
- Making formal & informal presentations
- Read & comprehend authentic academic English
- Scanning, annotating and making inferences
- Strategies to ascertain meaning of vocabulary
- Understanding the writer’s purpose
- The academic writing process
- Understanding academic vocabulary
- Using academic writing styles
- The structure of the research report or paper
- Identifying the main point
- Locating specific information
- Writing topic sentences
- Describing a system
- What to expect from the different exams
- Understanding what you’re being asked
- Managing stress
- Proper preparation
All lessons will provide you with the following:
- Complete academic vocabulary with up-to-date terms and common phrases.
- Grammar structures to improve your communication.
- Intensive writing focus so you can express yourself fluently and confidently.