- What happens when you can’t travel, but still need to learn English? - 13/04/2020
- Common Phrasal Verbs used in Uncommon Ways - 01/04/2020
- New Colloquialisms - 31/03/2020
English One showcases one of its most useful (and intensive!) courses: the Cambridge Exam Preparation courses. Learn more about these courses and how they can help you achieve the results you need from your Cambridge Exam.
Our Cambridge Exam Preparation courses offer you the skills and techniques that you’ll need when taking your exam. Our small classes, Cambridge exam experienced teachers and focused courses ensure that when the exam day arrives you are well prepared and confident. Taking our preparation courses will help you develop the skills to enable you to get the most from living, studying and working in English-speaking countries. Give yourself the best chance for success by joining one of our Cambridge Exam Preparation courses. With our expert guidance and knowledgeable experience, we can help you get the result that you need.
Cambridge Exam Course Prices (2019)
icon-caret-right 9 week intensive course: $2655 / €2250 (January only)
icon-caret-right 10 week intensive course: $2950 / €2500
icon-caret-right 12 week intensive course: $3450 / €2950
The Exam Preparation courses are complete and intensive with a strong focus on developing your skills and confidence.
DAYS: Monday – Friday
TIMES: 9:00 – 15:00 (22½ hrs/week)
MINIMUM LENGTH: 9 – 12 weeks
MINIMUM LEVEL: B1 – C1
What can you expect from your Cambridge Exam course?
- Small classes with a maximum of 8 students per class.
- Q & A workshop with a Cape Town based British Council examiner.
- Very focused and clear instruction during class.
- A friendly and professional Cambridge examination experienced teacher.
- Comprehensive learning support and assistance throughout the course.
- A pre-course online assessment.
- In depth strategizing and robust emphasis on the sub-skills needed to succeed during the exam.
- Attend lectures at a local university with a teacher to practice listening sub-skills and note-taking.
- One practice test per week in exam conditions and a final mock exam with full feedback.
- Assistance with booking your exam in Cape Town.
CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH: FIRST (B1 – C1)
The Cambridge First (FCE) is an Upper-Intermediate level qualification and is used to prove that you have the English ability to live and work independently in an English-speaking country or study courses taught in English.
CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH: ADVANCED (B2 – C2)
This certificate (CAE) offers a qualification for high level achievers. With this certificate you can follow any undergraduate academic course, participate in academic tutorials and seminars, carry out complex research and communicate effectively at a managerial level in an international business setting.
CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH: PROFICIENCY (C1 – C2)
The Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) demonstrates a mastery of English at an exceptional level. This course will develop your ability to communicate with the fluency and sophistication of near-native levels in a wide range of situations. With this certificate you can study postgraduate academic courses, lead high-level research projects and academic seminars and communicate effectively at an upper managerial and board level in international business.
A Sample of the Course Timetable
Reading for main ideas, specific information, text structure, implication and tone.
Question types: multiple choice, gapped text with missing paragraphs, multiple matching.
Skills: Dealing with unfamiliar vocabulary, skimming/scanning, the different functions of tenses.
Producing content, communicative achievement, organisation and language.
Developing a systematic approach to writing essays, letters, proposals, reports and reviews.
Skills: Text organisation, editing, coherence vs cohesion, transition marking.
Initiating and maintaining a discussion, reaching a decision through negotiation.
Introductory exchanges, theme related discussions, giving and justifying opinions.
Skills: Interpreting attitude, turn taking, clarification, feedback, using repair skills.
Listening for gist, for specific information or the speaker’s opinion, attitude or feeling.
Predicting content, detecting signposts, inferring meaning.
Skills: Co-ordinating listening, understanding, reading and note-taking concurrently.
Certified and authentic exam papers used for Reading and Use of English practice.
Certified and authentic exam papers used for Writing, Listening and Speaking practice.
Skills: Time management, following and understanding instructions, exploiting paralinguistic features.
What you need to know
- You must be able to manage 2 to 3 hours a day of autonomous learning and homework outside of class time.
- Always book your stay and accommodation for 1 extra week after the exam date to make provisions for any (unlikely) changes.
- The Cambridge Exam courses are closed courses, this means that once the course starts no new students can join.
- The start and end dates of the course are fixed.
- Minimum of 3 students needed to run the course.
- Seats to take the exams are limited, so early booking is essential.
- The course price does not include the exam fee.
Cambridge Exam and Course Dates in Cape Town
Prepare for your exam with us and you will:
- improve your language learning skills
- familiarize yourself with the exam techniques
- increase your vocabulary range
- develop your pronunciation and communication skills
Online Cambridge Assessment: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/test-your-english/adult-learners/
Common European Framework: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/cefr/
Register for an exam: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/register-for-an-exam/
More about FCE: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/first/
More about CAE: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/advanced/
More about CPE: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/proficiency/