TERMS AND CONDITIONS (January 2019)
- All fees (tuition and accommodation) are payable in advance. A 30% deposit is payable upon registration and presentation of an invoice, with the balance due before course commencement.
- Clients are responsible for charges incurred when transferring fees or exchanging currency.
- A once-off, non-refundable Registration Fee is charged for all new students.
- A course can only be confirmed once payment is made by bank transfer or credit card.
- The Registration Fee and deposit must be paid upfront for a booking confirmation for visa application purposes.
- Returning students are exempt of registration fees.
- All prices stated are valid from the 1st of January until the 31st of December of the current year. English One reserves the right to change any prices due to tax increases, exchange rate variations, government regulations or any other such events.
- Students may require a visa, depending on their country of origin. English One will provide a letter of support to assist in applying for a visa. However, in all other respects the student is responsible for obtaining a visa to enter South Africa.
- English One can assist with information about visas but cannot be held responsible for changes in visa regulations.
- English One will revoke a study visa if a student’s attendance and or participation in their course is not satisfactory.
‘Cancellation’ refers to the period up to the start date of the first course you are attending. Any cancellations must be done in writing to English One.
- A full refund of tuition and accommodation fees (not including administration fees) is possible in the event of a visa refusal, provided English One receives written notice which includes documentary evidence of the visa refusal at least 14 days before the course commencement date.
- A cancellation fee equivalent to 1 week of accommodation and tuition will apply if English One receives written evidence of visa rejection less than 14 days prior to the course commencement date.
- Refunds for non-visa-related cancellations prior to course commencement are as follows (excludes administration fees):
- 4 weeks prior – 90% of tuition and accommodation fees.
- 3 weeks prior – 75% of tuition and accommodation fees.
- 2 weeks prior – 50% of tuition and accommodation fees.
- 1 week prior – 35% of tuition and accommodation fees.
- Less than 1 week prior – no refund
- Where necessary, refunds will be made to the agent responsible for the booking, not directly to the student.
- A cancellation fee of US$25 may be charged when pre-course work has been undertaken by English One for a student prior to the student’s arrival at English One.
- In all cases, the express mail fee, accommodation placement fee, registration fee, bank transfer or credit card fee, differences due to currency exchange rate changes, and any other service charges are non-refundable.
‘Termination’ means stopping or leaving all or part of the course or courses booked, including extensions, once the first class has started. In all cases, no refunds will be made after the arrival date listed on the booking confirmation form.
- No fees will be refunded for failure to arrive or register at English One, and study visas will be cancelled two weeks after the planned arrival date.
- If a student cannot complete their course, a credit note will be issued for the remainder of the course.
- Courses or credit notes are not transferable between students.
- A full refund will be granted should English One cancel a course.
- Periods of absence due to illness or accident are not refundable.
- Students who terminate their program may not be eligible to receive a certificate of completion.
ACCOMMODATION AND AIRPORT TRANSFERS:
- English One can arrange airport transfers on request.
- Transfer costs are not included in the course costs.
- English One would need to have the full flight details and arrival time at least 7 days prior to arrival in order to make the necessary arrangements.
- English One does not provide accommodation, but will assist students in finding appropriate accommodation from backpackers, boutique hotels, hotels, B&Bs or a host family. Assistance is available on request.
- English One reserves the right to change a course appropriate to the student’s level. Should a student’s level of English not meet the requirements of the course chosen, English One may change the course to a more appropriate one.
- A student’s level of English is determined by a Placement Assessment done on arrival.
- English One reserves the right to determine the level and needs of students and will not accept any liability for any errors made in this regard.
- A pre-arrival diagnostic test is available online for students wishing to gauge their level before making a choice. This test is for information purposes only and is used so that the Academic Director can make recommendations. It holds no bearing on which level a student is placed in upon arrival.
- The Placement Assessment on arrival is done irrespective of whether a student takes the diagnostic test or not.
- If there are not enough students to run a particular course, English One reserves the right to either cancel the course or offer an alternative course which English One deems suitable.
- Should a student need to make any changes to their course, an administration fee will be incurred.
- Students may extend their course provided there is space available. Full payment is required before a space can be reserved.
- English One reserves the right to refuse any application for enrolment of a student at any stage.
LESSONS AND CLASSES:
- Maximum number of students per class: 8 (Excluding free lessons).
- In very rare circumstances it may be necessary to exceed the maximum student numbers per class. If this happens all care will be taken to minimize the impact on the other students in the class.
- Lessons will be held Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.00pm.
- English One reserves the right to alter lesson times when necessary.
- Once a student’s level has been confirmed they will be issued with a free course book. Thereafter course books will have to be purchased from English One at the student’s expense.
- Students wishing to cancel or alter private lessons need to provide at least 12 hours’ notice. Failure to do so will result in the entire lesson being lost. The Academic Director has the final say in all matters related to cancellations or alterations to the times of private lessons.
- English One may use classrooms in alternative locations when necessary.
- English One reserves the right to change teachers at any time.
- Students who cannot read or write Roman script will need to book private lessons with the school for this purpose.
- Medical and Travel insurance is highly recommended due to the high cost of medical treatment in South Africa.
- English One will not be held responsible for any loss, damages or injury to property or property during a student’s stay in South Africa and at the school.
- English One will not be held responsible for loss, damages or injury to person or property in the event of Force Majeure – this includes but not limited to: Civil unrest, natural disasters, disease outbreaks, nuclear disaster and war.
HOLIDAYS AND BREAKS:
- Students can take up to 10 days of holiday during their course for courses longer than 12 weeks.
- Lessons are not made up but it will not affect attendance.
- English One is closed on scheduled public holidays. Lessons are not made up and every effort will be made that lessons falling on a public holiday will not be charged. Alternative arrangements will be made should an impromptu public holiday be announced by the government. Every attempt will be made to make up lessons for private classes.
- English One will be closed from +/- the 20th of December for 2 weeks every year. The closing dates will be confirmed at least 14 days prior.
SCHOOL RULES AND STUDENT CONDUCT:
- Student’s must be 16 years or older in order to enrol at English One. Students under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a guardian.
- Students are required to adhere to English One’s rules and regulations at all times.
- An attendance of less than 80% will result in no certificate being issued at the end of a course.
- Tolerance of other’s beliefs and cultures is expected at all times and any form of prejudice and/or bullying will result in immediate expulsion.
- Any damage caused to school property and/or equipment will be replaced/repaired at the expense of the student responsible.
- Should a student not follow the school rules and regulations, have insufficient attendance, commit a criminal act, provide false information, engage in aggressive or disorderly conduct or any other actions that may bring English One into disrepute may result in the student being expelled from the school without any refund. Repatriation will be at the student’s cost.
- Complaints about English One’s courses or services should be made immediately to ensure a prompt response. All complaints will be registered. Complaints made after the student has ended their course will not be accepted.
- English One reserves the right to use student’s pictures and/or work for promotional or marketing material.
- Students are not insured by English One against illness, accident, theft or any loss of personal effects. English One or its representatives cannot accept responsibility for any accident occurring during a course, on or off the course premises, on excursions or during activities. Full personal insurance cover should be taken out to include medical and any other expenses and also loss of fees should the whole or part of a course or any activity, paid in advance, not be attended.
- No student may enter into discussions regarding private or personal teaching or make arrangements with English One trainers/teachers without prior approval of the school. Any student who arranges private tutoring with an English One trainer/teacher will be liable for legal action, and a minimum fine of R10,000.00 will be requested.
- By signing the registration form students agree to the terms and conditions listed here. These terms and conditions are clearly visible in the school and on English One’s website.
Place of jurisdiction in the event of any dispute is the courts of Cape Town, South Africa.